Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Years Quiz

Here's something that I like to do a day or two before the New Year starts. I happen to follow a really interesting blog called All & Sundry and she's puts this up and lots of people post back and it all makes for some good reading. I'm hoping that another friend of mine who is a Sundry reader posts one too. (You know who you are!)

A brief synopsis would say that I'm sort of wishy-washy expressing negative emotions, I hate no one, and the song lyrics that have the most meaning to me are at least 4 years old. I also sneak in a reference to some Dead lyrics that are as old as I am. Because I'm an old-fart soul. The synopsis would also lead you to believe that I didn't suffer greatly this year, but if you've been following this blog or been in contact with me at all, you'd know that I sort of did sometimes. Most of it came right from me, as my own response to my circumstances in the form of moderate to severe anxiety.

However, looking back on it all, especially through the eyes of this quiz, it really was more good than bad in many ways. I had problems, I sought help, I solved a few problems, I got better. I think I'll keep this quiz just the way that it is because I feel like it emphasizes the better things that happened in 2008 and just how much better this year was than the one before.

If you're reading this, thank you, and I hope that 2009 proves to be a wonderful year for us all.

Cheers and kisses...


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

Bought a brand new car all by myself, and paid the damn thing off and saved myself a small fortune by avoiding years of paying interest.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Any resolutions I made must have been vague and unmemorable so I'm not sure if I kept them. The only resolution I am making this year is to do more karaoke.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No one in my daily life or family gave birth, but some long-lost friends recovered on Facebook had some babies! Yay for babies!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Fortunately I can say no to this one this year. See 2007. Enough said.

5. What countries did you visit?

In my daydreams I've been around the world. In reality I've been in New Jersey and Florida and all the states in between on 95.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

A home that I am truly comfortable in. More patience. More fun.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

It's seriously all a blur.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Moving back home to New Jersey.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Landing me and the girls in a really crappy apartment, but the end of that is in sight.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing serious, thank God.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My Honda Fit.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

All of the people who have offered me and the girls love and support.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Those assholes who trampled the security guard to death at the Walmart in Long Island at 4:55 am on November 26 because they just couldn't wait to get their hands on merchandise.

14. Where did most of your money go?

The myriad expenses of moving 1000 miles...again.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Selling the house and not losing as much as I thought I would!

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

Viva la Vida, Coldplay

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? about the same, but heavier than 6 months ago. (it's been a yo-yo year, but I feel healthier.)
c) richer or poorer? good question. i think about even or at least close.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Enjoying my time.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

As always, worrying.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Driving and visiting, and overall enjoying myself.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

Definitely.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

As always, Family Guy.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Oh hell no. As always, ain't no time to hate.

24. What was the best book you read?

When You Are Engulfed In Flames, David Sedaris

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Many good ones on Youtube including The Soweto Gospel Choir and David Sides

26. What did you want and get?

A really great little car with awesome gas mileage.

27. What did you want and not get?

A new home of my own, but I'm not pining over it.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Idiocracy

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I went to Lido's with Kirk and the girls. I turned 34.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Unbelievable, unremitting, unconditional support in the form of phone calls, texts, IMs, and emails before I moved back home from a handful of key people.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Comfort.

32. What kept you sane?

A few really incredible people.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Would it be cliche to say Barack Obama? Well, it's the truth.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Hands down, the campaign.

35. Who did you miss?

I missed Rob the most.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

No one brand spankin new, but I suppose Kirk counts as new and he's pretty awesome.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

Fake sincerity while large sums of money are changing hands is not only unnecessary, it's obnoxious.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Not a new song, it never is, but alas:

Alone inside my forest room
And it's stormin'
I never thought I'd be in bloom
But this is where I start
-RHCP

No comments: