Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Grandiose or More Grandiose?

Well, I decided to go private with this blog. If you got an invite it's because I'm comfortable with sharing it with you. Maybe you actually read it on occasion too :-P

Going public with it on Facebook was a Grand Plan inspired by Kurt who writes such a great blog in between all of the other really cool stuff that he's doing with himself. I admire his writing as much as I admire his openness with sharing it. For a while I thought I'd give sharing a try but I've come to find that I just don't want to share it with a potentially wider audience anymore.

The irony is that I seriously doubt that audience has gotten wider. If it has, there is a really good chance that some of the new readers might not be people I want reading it. The Facebook thing has become a runaway locomotive of people I sort of know, people I don't know at all, and people that I feel sort of wishy-washy about. Trust me, there are some gems in there that I'm so glad I found again, but mostly it's like a playground during recess. Not always filled with your best friends if you know what I mean.

I've felt very stifled by having Mommydawg public in the playground so to speak. I hope that this new sense of privacy will inspire me to be more honest and creative with what I do here. Still don't know what that is yet, but it's mine, it's safe again, and I can take the time to figure that out.

I hope this finds anyway reading well and in good spirits. Spirits have been a bit low here, but I'm no stranger to that. We are in the middle of another move again, hopefully one that shows itself to be an improvement, but I don't have to tell any of you how sick I am of this whole process, do I? My level of exhaustion over seeking comfort is high.

8 comments:

~Free said...

Yippee! It's very freeing.

Alien Alda said...

Hey,

Perhaps the solution is making Facebook more private...It's actually a great tool to get your blog across to the selected masses as long as you don't 'friend' everything that emits heat. Ah, what do I know....

Just an idea.

Anyway, totally respect your decision to do this. And I know what you're saying...sometimes I think "Why a I putting myself out here like this, is anyone really reading this?" too.

Have you ever considered emailing your blog out to people? I have, but I haven't decided if that's being too pompous. Have a nice one, sister.

K

Sandra Novack said...

Hi, Liz!
Thanks for the invite. And I totally understand about the Facebook thing. Between being "public" on Facebook, and my blog now being more "public" (in a not sure the audience is necessarily wider way, too, but it's being checked by my publisher on and off and by more strangers) I understand the importance of private space.

Anyway, I feel lucky to be included on the list of people you feel good about sharing things with.
xo,
s

m.e. said...

hey, liz! thanks for the invite. i always enjoy your insights, so i look forward to popping in here more. i've been stifled on my own blog as well and felt very exposed. think i may change some things where it's concerned. i dunno. anyway, glad for your change and hope it proves to be a positive thing for you! take care, jen ;-)

mommydawg said...

I have toyed with the idea of making Facebook less public, but at the rate I'm ascending the ranks of FB Wrestler, it would be shooting myself in the cyber-wrestling foot! Gotta have priorities...

Oh and emailing out my blog? Toyed with that idea, but in the end decided that it just didn't feel right either.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back to basics on here.

lilsis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mommydawg said...

Thanks Lilsis. I am glad I cut the link between this blog and FB. I only do silly stuff on my Myspace blog once or twice a year. Basically, for me blogs are a really good way to keep abreast with what's happening with certain friends that I rarely see or talk to. I like reading and I like writing and it satisfies both of those needs. Anyway, thank you for coming along :-)

Jules said...

Thanks 4 the invite Liz!!!...I'm honored that I'm on ur read-blog list =)...I've been checking ur blog from time 2 time and I enjoy ur writing and ur insightfulness =)...I actually just made my blog private too because I'm feeling overwhelmed and wasn't enjoying the scrunity of the masses (ppl I don't know well) being able 2 read what's been up on my end...I didn't know that I had the selected reader option until I got ur invite!!!...so thanks 4 that too!!!...take care and I hope 2 see u tomorrow at work (tho I'm hoping we get a lot of snow too, haha) :P...NITE =)