Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Alright...

Quick update on things:

So I found what I think is a really great deal on a 4 bedroom apartment in Lodi. I've gone for a second visit and unless something amazing happens in the next couple of days, like winning the lottery that I don't even play, I'm going for it. It's obviously got the fourth bedroom I've already mentioned but it just feels a whole lot safer and well-maintained than where we are staying now.

The owner of the house and landlord lives downstairs in this two-unit house. He seems sane. He certainly keeps up with the place. All of the doors lock in a sufficient manner. Everything just looks to be a lot safer, more convenient, more in line with the living arrangement that I am after.

Of course I would love to own my own home again. This is my dream eventually. The taxes around here are so high that it's just too difficult to commit to the long term. When I weigh the cost of property taxes with owning a home for at least 5 years-it's just too much dough.

I know this is a great time to buy because of the low interest rates and the depressed housing market. It truly is a buyer's market and I wish I could say that I was sure I was going to be hanging around Bergen county for the next 5 or 10 years, but it just doesn't feel like reality. We're talking a lot of money here! For the cheapest house I spotted for sale that meets the bare minimum of my needs, it's about $7500 per year in property taxes. Multiply that by 5 or 10 and that's an awful lot of coin.

I can't do it. I can't commit to that. In the end it's either equal to or more than what I would pay in rent per month. I need the flexibility to bail out as needed. In the end, if that means losing a security deposit, I can live with that.

My dream though... Somewhere else. Some place where the traffic is not so suppressive. Some place where the taxes aren't quite so high and the yards are a little bigger.

The holiday season in Bergen county really highlights the drawbacks of this area: the impossible traffic, the rush, the attitudes that crop up due to the stress of it all. It's happening all year round, but the holidays cram it all right in your face.

Modern life is an interesting thing for sure, something that should make you stop and think about what it is you're really doing and how close this falls into line with what you really crave out of life.

You can live rurally and maybe commute a somewhat fair distance to your employment and your source of income. Which will really keep the wheels of the life you've chosen spinning and still get the kids or yourself through school.

You can live suburbanly and maybe commute a little less, with a little less of your own personal space. You will live in the middle of everything and be surrounded by strip malls on all sides and still have a fair amount of traffic to deal with. Your taxes might be a lot higher than you deem fair.

You can live urbanly and pay a lot in taxes and have very little personal space. You will be in the middle of everything with perks like mass transit at your fingertips. You will be closer to crime, noise, and pollution.

Is there something I'm missing? I don't feel like I want any of those choices, but if I had to pick one, I think it's be the first one, the rural life. Maybe I just can't shake it out of me. Maybe I just like having a whole lot of personal space.

Maybe in the end, what I really miss is where I grew up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hunterdon County would welcome you back with open arms!!

MERRY XMAS btw!!!...got your facebook message!!