Friday, September 07, 2007

Lately...

We are starting to form some kind of routine. This is the only way to survive. Without the girls I think I would be a total mess-undisciplined, nocturnal, drunk, and probably suffering from poor hygiene. With the girls I make meals, loosely adhere to a sleeping schedule, find reasons to smile, and occasionally crack the whip.

People ask how I'm doing and my basic response is: up and down. This is true. There are moments when I am lost in total despair and then there are moments when I am totally confident that I will remake our lives into something that is happy and full of meaning.

There is a lime tree in my backyard with ten or twelves limes ripening on it. I keep on checking the biggest one every day and it still feels too firm to pick. I know nothing about growing fruit, but maybe I'll learn a little bit more about that through this tree.

Penny has taken to climbing on top of the dining room table every time I'm not looking. She likes to shake the salt and pepper shakers. This morning she got to the table while I was doing something and broke a bowl that I had in the middle of the table. I was nice, part of my Noritake Colorwave set, a large, shallow bowl that I used to serve vegetables or pasta during holidays and other special dinners. She cut her thumb while doing this. It's just a small cut but it was bleeding a lot. She ripped off the first band aid and started bleeding again. We're having more success with the second band aid.

Sadie is doing pretty well in school and with friends. She's tending the rabbit that my father-in-law found and it appears to be thriving. We are anxiously awaiting her new bedroom furniture. She has a lot more homework than she is used to but she's taking it like a champ. If she keeps her GPA in a decent range she will be eligible for a trip to Germany with her German class in April. It's really nice for her to have something like that to look forward to.

We are also getting ready for my sister-in-law's wedding. The three of us got our dresses, had them fitted for minor alterations, and just need to pick them up about a week before the wedding. In the meantime, I need to watch what I eat so I can look as awesome as possible in this dress.

Which leads me to another thing-we all joined the YMCA. I haven't actually gone and used the facilities yet but I can see it in my future. Perhaps we'll go this weekend. They have a child care area that will watch children for 90 minutes while you do whatever it is you do there. I am very interested in taking spin classes. I heard that it's intense and burns a lot of calories. I like the fact that I won't have to actually jump around with other human beings. I am not ready for that yet. At any rate, it looks very clean and everyone seems very friendly.

Time to start another weekend. I really have no internal distinction between weekdays and weekends. It's all a blur to me. In some ways it feels like only yesterday that Rob passed away-so much of my feelings are still very fresh. Every morning when I wake up I feel so sad that I will not see him today. Then I realize that it's been five weeks. Still close, but yet so far from the last time I ever saw him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The YMCA will be great for all of you. THey have really good toddler programs, too. I personally hate spinning, but it sure works you out! LEt me know how you feel after your first class!

I am excited for the prospect of Sadie going to Germany! Keep me posted. And on the limes.

Eva won't tolerate a bandaid. They are toys to her.

I'm sure your life must seem very surreal at times, but you still seem very grounded, Liz. I'm so in awe of you.

mommydawg said...

I've read a lot of good things about spinning so I figured I should at least try it. They YMCA is in the process of expansion so the spin class is still very small-5 cyclists and an instructor. If you want to take a class you have to show up an hour early and get a ticket, and even then you might be sixth in line. Hopefully in time they will add more bikes. Or maybe I'll hate it too and won't care how many bikes they add.

Has Eva gotten any new teeth lately? I think Penny is getting new teeth. Her sleep schedule and habits right now are terrible. This is about the time when she her canines should be erupting. She always has difficulty with teething, especially when it comes to sleep.

Also, I am taking steps towards weaning her off of the bottle. I think her use of the bottle is sabotaging good solid sleep. It's time to learn a new way, but gently (I hope!). What's Eva doing with the bottle? Done? A few times a day? Or completely attached like my kid?

~Free said...

The only teeth left are her two year molars, and I think I see them doing something, but I'm not sure. She went through a brief freak out period a few weeks ago where she was waking up in the middle of the night and screaming when I put her down for bed. I am not sure what this was about, but something made me think that she is suddenly a little afraid of the dark, so I left the hallway light on and it hasn't happened since.

I thought we'd be using that bottle forever but one day, Eva just said, "No no bot!" and that was it. I am grateful. My friend had more of a problem with it and just diminished use of it gradually.

mommydawg said...

I got some good advice today from a few people which basically amounted to chill out on the bottle issue and other things. At least for now. Get through one thing at a time. Maybe she is also afraid of the dark. I'll have to dig out a night light. I'm pretty sure the teeth are bothering her too. If she needs to sleep with me for a little while, so be it. I'm just doing the best I can and need to mellow out if possible and do what makes all of us secure and happiest.

~Free said...

Yeah, I agree with the advice you got. I was in no hurry to get rid of the bottle. You can try limiting it to bedtime or something, but don't make it a stressful transition. She'll eventually want to move on.

Ironically, Eva starting freaking out today during her nap and pointing to the back of her mouth! Bring on the drugs, is what I say.