Thursday, August 23, 2007

Today is our anniversary. Four years ago today Rob and I got married. I started this post by typing "today would've been our four year anniversary." The italics I have just added as an after thought. I deleted that line and rewrote it. It is still is our anniversary.

Not would've been, but is.
It is impossible to really celebrate this day, at least today, but I can honor it. I started by cleaning my engagement ring. I haven't done this for months and months and it had accumulated all kinds of gunk around the area where the stone meets the setting. Months-worth of soap residue, latex glove powder, hand lotion, and whatever else lurks beneath had gathered underneath the diamond and it didn't sparkle as brightly as it should have.

So I got myself some jewelry cleaner and soaked it and scrubbed it. It's much better. I love this ring as much now as the day I got it and maybe even a little bit more. Any ring would've been a lovely choice but he put so much thought into this particular ring that it breaks my heart to look at it again and think of it's story.

The way I was told was this: JH went with him to the diamond district in New York and he was able to hand select the stone which is just a perfectly round cut diamond just a hair over one karat. It was a loose stone among others that he selected for whatever reason, probably a combination of price, size, cut. He decided to have it placed by itself in a simple Tiffany setting on white gold. If you know me, you know that this solitaire arrangement is exactly what I am about.

A few months before that he asked me a few vague questions about what kind of rings I liked and what I pictured an ideal engagement ring to be. He also took me into a jewelry store and had my finger sized. This lead me to believe that something really good was headed down the road, but I maintained my patience and never pressed him for anything. He surely must have known how much I loved him and wanted to be with him forever without me having to nag him for a ring or drag him into jewelry stores pointing out what I liked.

All I ever told him was that as far as rings go, I preferred solitaires with one really good stone. Because of my profession I needed something easy to don and remove gloves and to keep clean. I am also a simple person with very simple wants and needs-the ring really fit me perfectly. I feel like it also fit our relationship perfectly. I see it as a symbol of us. It is one singular, beautiful thing.

Four years ago it was a lovely day for a wedding. Together, we did a fine job of coordinating the event in five month's time. Our determination was to throw the best party that either of us had ever put together. I really think we pulled it off.

There are so many more memories I could pull out regarding August 23, 2003 but I will have to revisit them another time. The baby is finally napping and I have to find something productive to do. Task lists are weighing heavily in mind and deadlines are breathing down my neck. Until I return to this topic, enjoy a picture or two or three...

A scan, not the best quality, but I will never get over the look on his face. So happy.

Getting ready for the big event with JH

Honeymoon in Cozumel

4 comments:

~Free said...

These are such awesome pictures, Liz. Happy Anniversary.

Sandra Novack said...

Hi Mommy Dawg.

I am one of Jean's friends from high school, but honestly, I've never been so presumptuous as to blog into someone's site that I don't know. (I am a writer, fairly reclusive, on my own...). I’m sorry if I am being too forward here…

But I just wanted to say: It's wonderful that you remember so much. I lost my sister when I was seven, and memories can often be painful (when matched against loss), but I do think at the end of the day--and with time--they're what sustains us all, in our own losses. Anyway...I hope your anniversary is filled with those things you love.

Many good wishes your way,
Sandra Novack

mommydawg said...

Sandy,

I welcome all friendly comments just like the one you left here. Thank you so much for thinking of me and for leaving such kind words. I am very sorry for your loss too. You are right on target about memories sustaining us. It is the food that my very hungry soul is living off of at this time. That, and the kindness of others-these are the things that are keeping me going right now.

Sandra Novack said...

God speed.

:)

Much love your way, from a stranger.
s