Saturday, August 11, 2007

Taking it One Day at a Time

Today was the first quiet day we had in a long time. I took a ride around the neighborhood and it's not so bad. I took a walk around 2 o'clock but it was pretty hot so I cut it short.

I think swamp ass was invented in Florida.

But by the same token I like it hot outside. Everything feels very alive and thriving down here. There's a lot of green wherever I look. Lawns are wide and trees are dripping with Spanish moss. What do they live off of? Tree bark and humidity I guess. Lizards crawl all over the lanai screens and sidewalks during the day. Frogs are abundant at night. Sometimes I spot sand cranes in pairs in the backyard here.

Also, the people are nice. In the drive through and at the stores they call me honey and I think they actually mean it. If a stranger were to call me honey up in Bergen County I'd either be running for my life or in a rage over their sarcasm. But here-I think they actually mean it. And I miss being called honey so I will not only put up with it but cherish it too.

5 comments:

~Free said...

The landscape sounds so beautiful there. I love so many things about summer. Like right now - the sound of a thousand crickets. There is such serenity in your description, even in such intense humidity.

mommydawg said...

I described the humidity to a friend of mine as a type of warm fuzzy blanket that just came out of the dryer.

I also want to add that the air down here is quite obviously much cleaner than the area of NJ that I left behind.

m.e. said...

Hi, Liz.

Just wanted to say hello -- I am a friend of Jean's. Although I don't know you, I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of your husband. I wish you strength and peace in such a difficult time. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Good luck in Florida -- I hope you like it. I was Jean's neighbor in MD, but my husband and I are originally from LA and now living in TX, so we know all about heat. Yuk. At least you'll have access to some great beaches in FL ;-)

Take care,
Jen Hunter

mommydawg said...

Jen, thank you for your kind words. I am just amazed these days by the kindness of strangers. People seem very open to connecting with each other down here. It's pretty nice actually.

And thank you again for connecting with me through your positive thoughts and for wishing us well...

m.e. said...

You're so welcome, Liz. All the best to you. I'll check in from time to time...because I LOVE blog world, and it's always nice to add someone new to my blog buddy list ;-)

~Jen