Monday, November 03, 2008

Something To Consider

I have been a fan of Merlin Mann's ever since I stumbled upon 5ives back in 2006. I found the concise entries of bulleted entries funny and thoughtful and really believed he was on to something good in that format. I still believe this. I'm sure he would retch upon reading any of my entries but that's Ok. He made me want to be better, and although this is a slow process I think I might be getting a little bit better at this. If anything, I'm getting a little bit better than the early days of "wow, we ate SUCH a great dinner!"

So I'm completely reproducing something that I read on 45 Folders that I have been taking to heart as of late. I'm think he would probably detest this. I'm sorry for that, but I really think it bears repeating for all of the people who don't really follow him.

Oh, and how did I find him? Not sure. It was probably a link on a blog in a galaxy far, far away. Point is I don't remember. I do know that somehow during that time, probably the same afternoon spent lazily on the couch in the throes of maternity leave, that I also discovered McSweeney's. Both discoveries have stirred a latent desire in me to write a little bit more, and hopefully a little bit better.

Merlin's most important words of wisdom, in my opinion, to date, from Kung Fu Grippe, with my thoughts mixed in:
  • identify and destroy small-return bullshit; (if it's never going to return what you put into it, say goodbye)
  • shut off anything that’s noisier than it is useful;
  • make brutally fast decisions about what I don’t need to be doing; (brutally fast. i need to work on this.)
  • avoid anything that feels like fake sincerity (esp. where it may touch money); (This is my favorite one and I have disobeyed this rule a nauseating number of times. See next bullet's comment)
  • demand personal focus on making good things; (I really need to be more demanding. Never again will I get prison gang-raped when buying a car. That's just one example that comes to mind.)
  • put a handful of real people near the center of everything. (this one reminds me of selecting your wedding party. if there are only a few REAL people, then plan a small procession)
And, so, these are some of the mantras that I aspire to live by. Naked and brutal bits to shape the new view I hope to attain. Because this circular way of thinking and behaving that I've fallen into is doing nothing to push me forward. 

Like his stuff or not, it's not important. I like it. I find inspiration in it. 

No comments: