Thursday, February 14, 2008

This Is Not A Lovesong

Valentine's Day...hmmmm...where to begin?

Best to jump right in.

I've been anticipating this day for months now. I knew it would be hard. Not that Rob and I were the kind of people who dropped big money or did really exciting things on this day, but it was always observed in a special, kind of quiet way. I have a stack of cards bearing beautiful sentiments hidden in my closet to remind me of this.

In late August I purchased the Linkin Park CD Minutes to Midnight and knew that one particular song could sum up exactly how I felt about this whole Valentine's Day thing. I am a big LP fan thanks to Rob. They are one of those bands who have the eerie ability to strike a chord with my present situation in life-whether it's 2001 or 2008 or any year in between.

I spent the evening on YouTube looking up video footage related to this song. They haven't put out their own official video of this song but I was able to catch some concert footage, some bootleg, some not. A lot of people made picture slideshows with the song running in the background. My favorite clips were the amateurs-acoustic guitar renditions, close-ups of fingers strumming electric guitars while the music played in the background, and stripped down versions of piano and voice.


~Valentine's Day~

My insides are turned to ash, so slow
And blew away as I collapsed, so cold
A black wind took them away, from sight
And held the darkness over day, that night
And the clouds above move closer
Looking so disatisfied
But the heartless wind kept blowing, blowing

I used to be my own protection, but not now
Cause my path has lost direction, somehow
A black wind took you away, from sight
And held the darkness over day, that night
And the clouds above move closer
Looking so disatisfied
And the ground below grew colder
As they put you down inside
But the heartless wind kept blowing, blowing

So now you're gone
And I was wrong
I never knew what it was like
To be alone
On a Valentine's

4 comments:

Laura said...

I hope the day was gentle on you. I will be grateful when this long, dragged out winter will be over. Thinking of you.

mommydawg said...

Hopefully I'll never have a worse Valentine's Day. I made it somehow. There were lots of tears at times, but inlaws saved the day by bringing us out to dinner.

Thinking of you too. This winter sucks big-time, especially being in Florida because I miss the snow so much. Hang in there, it must get better eventually...

Sandra Novack said...

Hey, Mommydawg. Was just thinking about you today and hope you are well enough, and happy.

Much warmth,

Sandy

Sandra Novack said...

Thanks for sharing your poem, Mommydawg! I hope you are well.

Much warmth your way,
sandy novack