Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Lately

Catching up on the Christmas thing.

My manic enthusiasm for Christmas has cooled off slightly. I was really ROLLING in the spirit on the 11th, mostly because it was Day One of Two Days Off in a Row. God, I was practically crying tears of joy over those days off.

Today was another day off too, but it wasn't planned and it wasn't really for a joyous reason like preparing for Christmas. The baby has four top teeth coming in all at once and evidently that's not such a great feeling in the middle of the night. She got up around 11 last night, sort of went back to sleep, woke up several times between then and 1, cried, nursed, cried, had a bottle and finally fell back to sleep around 2 and woke up for good around 5 this morning.

My head was splitting. I was just too miserable and decided that I'd rather just have an awful headache in the privacy of my own home than at a job I am beginning to hate. She stayed home with me and had a difficult day. She had some really lovely moments where she was playing, smiling, and adorable, but those moods would change so rapidly into something much less pleasant. At one point she was standing on my belly, pinching the skin on my chest, and spitting on my face. That was sort of a low-point, but I was still glad not to be at work.

She refused to nap until she was somehow physically connected to me. At 3pm I actually woke her up to bathe. We were still in our pajamas, her hair was sweaty against me, we were both starting to smell gross, and I was just disgusted with our condition. We took a nice, long, warm shower which seemed to revive us and finally get us on the right track after a trying day.

The neatest thing happened after the shower though. We took our sweet time drying off and I managed to clip her toenails and a few fingernails, clean out her ears, etc. I thought to myself "this baby is going to have to pee soon, I'm surprised she hasn't peed in her towel yet." I got the idea to sit her little rear-end on the toilet and voila: pee in the toilet. It meant absolutely nothing to her. Nothing. She had no idea why I was praising her or what had happened, but it was just the cutest thing ever. I mean, she's not even a year old...

Well, that headache from this morning is probably on it's way back. I am soooooo tired. The husband is sleeping to a basketball game which I am half-listening to. College ball. Kent State is losing to Duke. He'll be happy when he wakes up since he likes Duke.

No comments: