Monday, December 11, 2006

Day Off!

Alright, alright, I think I might finally be in the mood for Christmas. Yesterday afternoon while the baby was napping in her crib and the husband was snoozing in front of the TV, I decided to yank out the old Christmas tree. Hit by a rare combination of motivation and Christmas spirit, I finally began getting the house ready for the season.

In order to even get that far, I had to reorganize some of the attic just to reach the tree and decorations. I managed to lug the tree downstairs and assemble it before the baby woke up. Luckily ever single light on the tree was in perfect working order. It all fell together perfectly and now most of the tree is finished. We just have to hang some ornaments, but I've decided to leave most of the glass ornaments off of the tree this year, with the little one and all...

So far the baby hasn't tried to pull the tree down. She reaches out and touches it, but recoils at the pointy fake needles. They aren't sharp or anything, but I guess she's expecting to feel something different than the bristly, bushy appendages. I'm sure she'll grow bolder as she gets better acquainted with the tree.

The tree gets all squished in the box that houses it during it's long off season. We have to go around the tree, tediously straightening out every branch until it looks more like a real tree. I love having a fake tree mostly because I don't like the idea of killing a real one (I am a recycling-fanatic, but that's for another posting).

I put one ring of red garland around the tree, evenly spaced. The top always looks a little awkward for some reason, even with the angel in place at the top. This problem was neatly solved for the first time by placing a small wreath of red plastic berries on a circle of fine woodsy material. It's like a little red tree halo that the angle sits on.

So far that's the tree.

***************************************************************

I think a fun thing to do while the baby is little would be to take pictures of her with over-sized pieces of food at different family functions, outings, and such. We've sort of started doing this I think. The turkey drumstick picture was taken on a whim the day after Thanksgiving when I was busy processing the turkey carcass. Then, just this past weekend we took a picture of her in at a table in a deli in NYC with an enormous meatloaf sandwich in front of her. I think we're on to something.

***************************************************************

This past weekend was wonderful. We saw the tree at Rockefeller Center in the city. Big Tree! It was really cold and we were all bundled up. We walked around and saw some sights and had really big sandwiches for lunch in Times Square. Sadie had hot brisket, I had meatloaf, Rob had most of a 10 oz. cheese burger. It was outrageously expensive at a little under $70 with a tip. Still, the day went great even though Penny peed up her whole outfit and Sadie had to help me change her in the bathroom. The best part is that we were back home around 1pm.

***************************************************************

The best thing about today is that I HAVE THE DAY OFF! Those four words have the power to transform the day into something magical. I have so many plans including: prime the foyer, go shopping, work on cards, enjoy my life!

It doesn't end there though! I have tomorrow off too! I'm planning on buying some sneakers at Modell's. I have a coupon :-)

No comments: