Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Few Random Thoughts

Sometimes it's easy for the busiest person to feel like they have no life. I have vacillated between feeling like I've got no life at all to feeling like I might have the most special life that one could hope for. I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

There have been times when I've stared at the computer screen at 3:30 in the morning and felt like I had nothing in the world. There have been times when the computer screen has let me see some beautiful things from people who care about me. There have been moments spent changing diarrhea diapers that have made me feel so daunted by my lot in life and times when Penelope has smiled her father's smile that reminds me that life truly does go on into infinity. I've stared at the stars and cried and asked God, "why did you do this to me?" as much as there have been times when I've looked up at the night sky and felt like I was part of something so huge, beyond myself, that it has literally brought me to tears of joy.

The internet is a blessing, people. It is the reason that I met my husband. It connects us. Do not fight against it or question whether it is good or bad for human socialization. It IS. It is part of the grand design. Use it for good and you will be blessed.

The internet helped me finish my current degree and will no doubt help me tackle the next one. Not everything can be done on the net for what I want to do, but I can get a lot of the extraneous stuff out of the way from the comfort of my laptop. It is not a substitute for real experience and the nursing classes I face in the future, but anything that is based upon mere theories can be dealt with this way.

The internet is full of maps to places you might want to go. You can let your imagine run wild with trips to Halifax, Nova Scotia or Anchorage, Alaska and anywhere in between. You can chart your course and fantasize about all of the beautiful things to see in between. You can find restaurants worth eating at and imagine the meals you might eat based upon the menu you find. You can look up available lodging and read other people's experiences while staying there.

In short, you can let you imagination fly.

The web is chock full of good artists who would never find wide spread exposure otherwise. Find that old song that you haven't heard since high school on Youtube and transport yourself back in time to the first moment you've heard it. Discover the person with just a piano and two hands who is giving your favorite song on the radio a new treatment. Learn more about the things you have always been interested in and realize that there are thousands of people out there who love it just as much as you do.

God bless the internet. It has done so much for me. I know this isn't my first post extolling the virtues of the internet. For some of us, it seems like an old idea, something we tend to take for granted. Don't take it lightly, it's probably the most powerful tool aside from ourselves that any of us actually have. For a few dollars every month, the world is at your fingertips.

1 comment:

~Free said...

I am so with you! I found my husband on the internet, as you know. There is no other way we could have possibly met. I cannot get over that - that my life is what it is, that my child exsists, because of the power of internet communication. I think it's sheer magic.