Sunday, November 25, 2007

Talking Turkey

Wow. What a week I had up north. I was all over that Garden State-from the meadowlands of Bergen County to the rural suburbs south of Philly to the mean streets of Jersey city and the mountains and pastures of my old home, Hunterdon County. I was up and down the Turnpike and Parkway and criss-crossed east and west over routes 78, 22, 46, and 3. I took the long way to my grandma's house on route 21 going through the center of Newark just to remember what it looked like.

I got to see friends, family, places, things. I had some great lunches and dinners and visits. I even got the chance to scope out a tattoo parlor for my next important piece of work. Best of all, I didn't lose anything important this time around. In fact, I don't think I lost anything at all.

The return home to Florida-very hard on me. I cried in the airport and I cried on the plane. I cried looking out over this state that used to be home, which still seems to hang on to my heart, calling me back. Looking out the window of the plane in the dark, watching Newark, and all of New Jersey for that matter, become nothing more than lit up highways as the plane climbed higher and higher until the clouds finally separated me from my old home, waves of sadness rushed over me as the tears fell.

I miss it. My heart is there. Florida has been kind to me, but New Jersey is my homeland. And that's all I'm going to say on this topic for tonight. Trust me, we'll revisit this topic again.

Having said that, I hope everyone had a beautiful Thanksgiving. Love you all...

1 comment:

~Free said...

I know how you feel for sure. But there is something to be said for moving away from your comfort zone; it really gives you a new perspective and opportunity for growth.

I always think of Pink Floyd ... "Running over the same old ground - what have we found: the same old fears..." and Dave Matthews, "Here we have been standing for a long, long time. Treading trodden trails for a long, long, time..."

You have some Florida branches that are going to bud and bloom. And maybe you'll return at some point - who knows.