Saturday, October 06, 2007

Spring Hill

I didn't ever plan on living here. The plan was to move to a house in New Port Richey, about 20 miles south of here. It wouldn't have been that far really, but it would have been a little bit closer to Tampa and just a few miles from Tarpon Springs.

I had been to Spring Hill before when I was younger since my grandfather lives here. I found it ironic that Rob's grandfather also lived in this town, having moved here around the same time my grandfather did. In the summer of '04, I believe, while we were all on vacation down here-his parents, his sister, my parents, everyone-his folks bought a house in Spring Hill as a winter home.

His parents closed on the house I am living in on the same day that we closed on our Jersey house. They bought it to rent out, but it took on the more immediate purpose of sheltering me and the girls during my brief hiatus from home-ownership. It has been a godsend.

I used to scoff at the idea of living here. It is very Florida-cracker meets Northern Exodus to The South meets various other groups of people. It's on the Nature Coast. It's a little bit rural, a little bit town, and absolutely no city. There are no tall buildings, only strip malls and residential properties. It lacks the sleekness and the cool vibe of Tarpon Springs and New Port Richey.

Still, I like it here! The people are very friendly. I have had some very positive interactions with strangers. I'm not good at making friends so this is about the best I can hope for right now. It carries me a long way actually.

The benchmark moment had to be the day I walked into my bank down here with a fairly sizable check from the sale of our Jersey house. I was alone, by choice. They actually had a greeter there to see if she could help anyone who walked in, which was me with this check that Rob had so thoughtfully and fortunately signed before passing away. When the woman asked if she could help me, I literally burst into tears with this check in my hand and quietly and briefly explained my situation. She soothed me and shushed me and brought me up to the counter like a little chick under her wing and helped me get squared away.

There are have been other moments, similar, although usually without the tears. I got Sadie into high school, on schedule, for the very first day of the school year. That was no easy task, with the doctors' office up north who just wouldn't fax over her medical information and other related obstacles. I had to rely greatly on the efforts of the Public Health Clinic down here, which does an amazing job of getting kids immunized and seen by doctors during the 2 weeks leading up to the first day. However, the wait there is excruciating. Since then it has been pretty much smooth-sailing as far as Sadie's school goes. Her freshman year has been very good so far.

And while, no, I never dreamed of living here, it is much better than I imagined. It is a very laid back town. There are a lot of elderly people, especially in the area that the new house is in. There are also a lot of families with kids. There are also some tattoo parlors and barbeque pits and they sell beer and wine in the grocery store.

Maybe I just belong here right now.

For you out there who like to get lost in wiki, please visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Hill%2C_Florida

5 comments:

~Free said...

I love the wiki section on recent developments that describes the shopping center and TWO super Walmarts! Ha ha ha.... But the place seems to embrace you, somehow, and you sure could use all the hugs you can get. It seems clear that Spring Hill is your home.

Your writing keeps getting better and better, FYI.

Anonymous said...

Liz,

I'm glad you've warmed to Spring Hill. I hope that means that you're out of the review period and under contract now. That's a pretty good indication that I owe you a call, I suppose.

I can see why you like Spring Hill. There's just something downright homey about the place. The people are among the most helpful friendly folk I've ever come across. The lady at the gas station, the staff at the Holiday Inn Express, the people at the Papa John's, the manager at the CVS, the woman at the Dunkin Donuts, the man at the Wendy's drive through late at night -- they all seemed to be possessed of that certain elusive something -- I think it's called happiness. That says to me that the people who live there are thankful for what they've got and they're appreciative and hospitable because of it.

They always say that the weather has something to do with it. That the sun literally gives people a more sunny disposition. I also think that people in the Northeast are so caught up in the daily grind that they tend to look past the small things, the little moments in life where the truest happiness can often most easily be found. They're so caught up in the things that they deem to be important -- money, status, etc. I think that's a shame.

I also think that the people in Spring Hill and other places where people from elsewhere seek refuge tend to have that warm character because the people have gone there purposely to be different and to enjoy life and the simple pleasures it offers.

I think it's a good place for you to be, and I look forward to many more visits as your friend and as Uncle Jon.

Jon

~Free said...

Jon, I just love your description of the people in Spring Hill. As a east-coaster myself, I often find myself surrounded by people consumed only with what/who they want to be, rather than what/who they are. Rarely do I come across people who have that true happy quality in life, who know that it's just about the living. This makes me want to pack my bags :)

mommydawg said...

Jean, I love the blurb on wiki about the two bowling alleys that call Spring Hill home. I mean, there's really not much to do here besides shop and eat somewhere and chill poolside. I mean, there are beaches and other natural areas nearby so if you like outdoors stuff it's all good.

And Jon, despite the incredibly fun time we had a few years ago, literally driving around this town and making fun of everything because we are total brats, it turns out to be a pretty good place. I still drive past some stuff and just shake my head, but it's more of a warm amusement now that I actually live here and it's been so good to me.

Anonymous said...

Liz,

Mariela and I are really excited about your closing! Also looking forward to seeing you up here in a few weeks. Let's plan for a party for you and the girls at Sabor Peru, ok? Mariela and I are excited about that too! You should take a look at the menu so you can start salivating now: saborperunj.com.

Chau-chau,

Jon