Friday, February 23, 2007

Turned out to be...

...pneumonia.

But she seems to be a lot better.

Along with the antibiotics she got a lot of hands-on tender loving care. For 3 days straight we pretty much just held her in our laps and coddled her. She wouldn't let us lay her down for a nap for a couple of days, insisting on sleeping in our arms, fitfully tossing herself around periodically. Her breath was hot, heavy, stinky. I did a lot of clapping and cupping on her back to break up the rattling mucous. Clearing your own mucous by way of coughing is a skill that's lost on an infant/toddler.

A day or two ago she sneezed up this huge blob of mucous that I'm still swooning over. It was sort of a huge thing that seemed to have a life of it's own. I couldn't believe it came out of such a little person. It dawned on my that this was the pneumonia, the physical manifestation of the infection, and that she would probably be a lot more chipper having shed it.

And she was! She took a great nap a little while later and woke up with SO much energy. She was all over the place. I couldn't sit still on the couch for 2 minutes without her bolting not only upstairs to the bedrooms, but all the way up to the attic. She did this, like, 5 times that afternoon. She was into everything.

Something about it made me miss working at the hospital. I haven't seen a booger that big in a really long time. It made me remember doing suctioning on my patients, and the satisfaction I felt when I helped someone clear their airway, breathe a little bit better.

So yeah, the biggest booger has been strangely inspiring. Go figure.

3 comments:

~Free said...

That is soo cool that she coughed up such a huge snot blob. No photos?? I'm so glad she's feeling better.

mommydawg said...

It was the kind of booger that did deserve a picture. It was huge, lemony-yellow, and had a jiggle to it when she turned her head to look at me. Stunning!

~Free said...

Yummy!!