Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Something Beautiful

Alfonse Mucha is my favorite artist. He made a zillion gorgeous lithographs, paintings, prints and so on. He was something of a national hero in the Czech Republic during the early 20th century, having the honor of designing currency and stamps as well as advertisements, posters, and other works of art. A nice thing about his story is that he was celebrated during his lifetime. To my knowledge he had a pretty nice life. I had the good fortune to visit his museum in Prague in 1999.

One thing I love the most about Mucha is how much he has influenced other artists whose work I appreciate too. A good example is Bob Masse, designer of countless concert posters dating from the 60's to the present. From the Grateful Dead, to Hendrix, to Cream, that familiar visual thread runs through his work.



And much to my surprise, a Masse-made Tori Amos concert poster. This is only one among a few he's done for her.
I enjoyed browsing this site. You might even find something you like. It's refreshing to see someone who does something creative keep at it for so long and do it so well all the while.

http://www.bmasse.com/

1 comment:

~Free said...

We have so much in common... I have a great Mucha screen saver on my computer at work. I've had it for years but I never tire of looking at his work. I just love art nouveau in general...